Every other week, Anthony Kozlowski pens the Atwood Magazine column Tunes & Tumblers, pairing new and classic albums with cocktail recipes. He quickly found however that drinking alone is a sad business. So he invited his friends into a recording booth to aid in mixing delicious drinks and to discuss the music that they all love. Strap on your headphones and enjoy a cold one on us.
It’s break-up songs, horses, and guillotines with Carter Vail on a new episode of our Tunes & Tumblers podcast! Tune in to get all the details on an interstellar whiskey cocktail and the rundown on his latest song, “ALWAYS THINKING ABOUT YOU.”
words by Anthony Kozlowski
This week, the podcast regulars sip on their Interstellar Experience while chatting with Carter Vail. Listen to them talk about his latest single, “ALWAYS THINKING ABOUT YOU,” his family’s history with guillotines, whether or not horses are too big, and so much more while sipping on some chilled-out summer whiskey.
Wanna drink with us? Then you’ve gotta do it responsibly. Here’s Kaitlyn’s recipe for a “Interstellar Experience”!
- 3 Ripe Bananas
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Sugar
- Simmer broken up bananas, water and sugar in saucepan for 10 to 15 minutes
- Remove from heat and let cool
- Strain into clean glass jar and store in refrigerator.
- 2oz Rye Whiskey
- 3/4oz Banana Syrup
- Walnut bitters
- Coconut lime ice tennis ball
- Ground Sichuan peppercorns
- Freeze 2 parts coconut milk and 1 part lime juice with 1/4 tsp lime zest and edible glitter in tennis ball ice mold
- Coat rim of lowball glass with Sichuan peppercorns
- Place tennis ball ice in glass and chill
- Shake whiskey, banana syrup, and ice
- Strain into glass and add a couple dashes of bitters
- Enjoy the rim garnish first for an interstellar experience
Have your own idea for a Tunes & Tumblers pairing? Let us know in the comments, or hit us up on Twitter.
© Kaylyn Wiggenhauser design by Kaylyn Wiggenhauser