Every other week, Anthony Kozlowski pens the Atwood Magazine column Tunes & Tumblers, pairing new and classic albums with cocktail recipes. He quickly found however that drinking alone is a sad business. So he invited his friends Pedro Isaac Chairez and Ryan James into a recording booth to aid in mixing delicious drinks and to discuss the music that they all love. Strap on your headphones and enjoy a cold one on us.
The Tunes & Tumblers gang welcome Zach Grace of Oregon indie pop band flor to discuss the band’s latest album Future Shine, share a work of culinary chemistry by guest bartender Kaylyn Wiggenhauser, and explain why we need to be on BeReal.
🎶 🥃 🎶 🥃
words by Nasya Blackshear
Your favorite podcast comes roaring back with our first in-person interview in over a year. This week we welcome Zach Grace of Oregon indie pop band flor into the bar to talk about their latest album “Future Shine,” share a work of culinary chemistry by guest bartender Kaylyn Wiggenhauser, and explain why we need to be on BeReal.
It’s the dawn of a brand new era on your favorite podcast. Today we welcome Zach Grace of Oregon indie pop band flor into the honest-to-goodness IRL studio to physically clink glasses with us for the first time in over a year. Join us and guest mixologist Kaylyn Wiggenhauser as we sip a marvel of culinary chemistry that pays homage to flor’s latest album Future Shine, itself a celebration of what happens when we shift our perspective (and perhaps look into the sun for a bit too long). Buy a bunch of kiwis, join BeReal, and bop along to the first of (hopefully) many in-person artist interviews. Cheers!
*** Please enjoy responsibly ***
- 8g Methyl Cellulose
- 5g Xanthan Gum
- 80mL Water, separated into 50 and 30
- Lemon and Lime Zest
- 2 Kiwis
- 5oz Gin, if desired
- 5 tsp Agave Nectar
- 5 cup Ice Cubes
- 3 Ground Freeze Dried Miracle Berries
- Dissolve methyl cellulose in 50mL of warm water. Chill for 2 hours, until clear
- Stir xanthan gum into the remaining 30mL of water until dissolved. Add 5mL of your methyl cellulose solution, lemon zest, and lime zest. Whip with a milk frother for at least 1 minute. Reminisce about that time you flunked organic chemistry.
- Peel and coarsely chop kiwis and puree in a blender until smooth.
- Pour the processed pulp into a strainer set over a large bowl, pressing on solids in the strainer to release juice.
- Dip 1 edge of a chilled coupe glass in foam and coat with crushed miracle berries.
- Shake kiwi juice, gin, lime juice, and agave nectar with ice, and strain into a coupe glass.
- Enjoy the sweetening effects of the foam when you need relief from the sour drink.
Have your own idea for a Tunes & Tumblers pairing? Let us know in the comments, or hit us up on Twitter.
© flor design by Kaylyn Wiggenhauser Theme Music by New New Girlfriend #Mood Jingle by Jacob Jeffries & Jesse McGinty