Every other week, Anthony Kozlowski pens the Atwood Magazine column Tunes & Tumblers, pairing new and classic albums with cocktail recipes. He quickly found however that drinking alone is a sad business. So he invited his friends Pedro Isaac Chairez and Ryan James into a recording booth to aid in mixing delicious drinks and to discuss the music that they all love. Strap on your headphones and enjoy a cold one on us.
The Tunes & Tumblers gang welcome Zach Grace of Oregon indie pop band flor to discuss the band’s latest album Future Shine, share a work of culinary chemistry by guest bartender Kaylyn Wiggenhauser, and explain why we need to be on BeReal.
words by Nasya Blackshear
Your favorite podcast comes roaring back with our first in-person interview in over a year. This week we welcome Zach Grace of Oregon indie pop band flor into the bar to talk about their latest album “Future Shine,” share a work of culinary chemistry by guest bartender Kaylyn Wiggenhauser, and explain why we need to be on BeReal.
It’s the dawn of a brand new era on your favorite podcast. Today we welcome Zach Grace of Oregon indie pop band flor into the honest-to-goodness IRL studio to physically clink glasses with us for the first time in over a year. Join us and guest mixologist Kaylyn Wiggenhauser as we sip a marvel of culinary chemistry that pays homage to flor’s latest album Future Shine, itself a celebration of what happens when we shift our perspective (and perhaps look into the sun for a bit too long). Buy a bunch of kiwis, join BeReal, and bop along to the first of (hopefully) many in-person artist interviews. Cheers!
*** Please enjoy responsibly ***
- 8g Methyl Cellulose
- 5g Xanthan Gum
- 80mL Water, separated into 50 and 30
- Lemon and Lime Zest
- 2 Kiwis
- 5oz Gin, if desired
- 5 tsp Agave Nectar
- 5 cup Ice Cubes
- 3 Ground Freeze Dried Miracle Berries
- Dissolve methyl cellulose in 50mL of warm water. Chill for 2 hours, until clear
- Stir xanthan gum into the remaining 30mL of water until dissolved. Add 5mL of your methyl cellulose solution, lemon zest, and lime zest. Whip with a milk frother for at least 1 minute. Reminisce about that time you flunked organic chemistry.
- Peel and coarsely chop kiwis and puree in a blender until smooth.
- Pour the processed pulp into a strainer set over a large bowl, pressing on solids in the strainer to release juice.
- Dip 1 edge of a chilled coupe glass in foam and coat with crushed miracle berries.
- Shake kiwi juice, gin, lime juice, and agave nectar with ice, and strain into a coupe glass.
- Enjoy the sweetening effects of the foam when you need relief from the sour drink.
Have your own idea for a Tunes & Tumblers pairing? Let us know in the comments, or hit us up on Twitter.
© flor design by Kaylyn Wiggenhauser Theme Music by New New Girlfriend #Mood Jingle by Jacob Jeffries & Jesse McGinty