Every other week, Anthony Kozlowski pens the Atwood Magazine column Tunes & Tumblers, pairing new and classic albums with cocktail recipes. He quickly found however that drinking alone is a sad business. So he invited his friends into a recording booth to aid in mixing delicious drinks and to discuss the music that they all love. Strap on your headphones and enjoy a cold one on us.
This week on Tunes & Tumblers, the regulars pour a cold glass of ice shards and caviar (not really but kind of) and chat with Ryan Ritual about not another breakup album.
words by Lilly Eason
We’re feeling boujee and bad (at picking an outfit without breaking down) while we sit down with Ryan Ritual, who finally agreed to talk to us after years of internet stalking. We just wanted to know about his unreasonably huge sunglasses collection. Well that and his music I guess, especially his newest single “Rip Me Apart” ahead of his debut solo album, The Weight of Love. Ahead you’ll find how a writing break went wrong in all the right ways, how to nit-pick your talents (also in a good way), and a salty/fishy cocktail that hits the album’s message right on the head. Kind of.
Trigger warning: mention of Morrissey, listener discretion advised.
Wanna drink with us? Then you’ve gotta do it responsibly. Here’s Kaitlyn’s recipe for a “Love Lost”!
- 2 oz gin
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 3/4 oz simple syrup
- 1 egg white (about 1/2 oz)
- Tonic water to top (about 1 oz)
- Orange zest
- Broken ice shards
- Caviar (measure with your heart)
- Add the gin, lemon juice, simple syrup and egg white to a shaker and vigorously dry-shake (without ice) for about 15 seconds.
- Add 3 or 4 ice cubes and shake vigorously until well-chilled.
- Strain into a chilled Collins glass and top with tonic water
- Top with ice shard and orange zest
- Enjoy every few sips with caviar! 🖤
Have your own idea for a Tunes & Tumblers pairing? Let us know in the comments, or hit us up on Twitter.
© Kaylyn Wiggenhauser design by Kaylyn Wiggenhauser